Re: whois broke again?

  • From: Kevin Day
  • Date: Sat Feb 19 17:13:34 2000

> I just started getting this output from whois today:
>
> # whois americanisp.net
>
> [whois.networksolutions.com]
> [No name] (DA12328-OR)          COM

So far, my favorite has been:

# whois -h whois.networksolutions.com microsoft.com
The Data in Network Solutions' WHOIS database is provided by Network
Solutions for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining
information about or related to a domain name registration record.
Network Solutions does not guarantee its accuracy.  By submitting a
WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this Data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this Data to:
(1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail
(spam); or  (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to Network Solutions (or its systems).  Network Solutions
reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.  By submitting
this query, you agree to abide by this policy.
NO MATCH: This domain is available!

Go to www.networksolutions.com to register it now!

and doing a whois on arin.net, and it spewing about 100k of garbage followed
by:

   Garbled updated date         .

To see this organization record with registered members, repeat the command
with a star ('*') before the name; or, use '%' to show JUST the registered
members.

If I wasn't trying to actually use whois today, I'd find this rather funny.
:)

Kevin