Fwd: [cfgeeks] HACKERS LEAVE A TRAIL OF CHAOS, BUT FEW CLUES

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Sun Feb 13 18:59:27 2000

In light of some recent discussion, I thought I'd forward this quote, from the LA Times:

HARD TIME AWAITS HACKERS GUILTY OF WEB ATTACKS
Whether it's a group of international terrorists or a 16-year-old whose
prank has gotten way out of hand, whoever is behind this week's series
of
"denial of service" assaults on popular Web sites could face serious
penalties. If the damage is intentional, penalties range from six months
five years in prison, plus a fine of up to $250,000 for the first
offense,
and up to 10 years in prison for the second offense. Unintentional
damage
caused by negligence is punishable by up to a year in prison and a
$100,000
fine. The U.S. penalties apply even to foreigners if a U.S. computer is
used
in the attack. (Los Angeles Times 9 Feb 2000)
http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/techwr/20000209/tCB00V0261.html

I'd like to call special attention to that last sentence. For those folks who were telling me I was "off base", "not thinking globally", "being an ugly American", or similar horseshit during this discussion, see here that I am not alone in thinking that somebody is very likely to be dragged into US custody yet again over this.