Generic filtering policies (was Re: Make Inggress Filtering the LAW for all ISPs!)

  • From: Lionel Lauer
  • Date: Sat Feb 12 14:20:52 2000

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:11:22 -0700 (MST), Ehud Gavron <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Make Inggress[sic] Filtering the LAW for all NANOG postings!
>It should eliminate 99.9% of DOS posters.

Well yeah, the post wasn't terribly helpful as it stood, but OTOH, it
would certainly be helpful to have a 'model' client/peering agreement
that includes some sort of reasonable standard for what kind of traffic
should be filtered on ingress & egress.

The only one I've seen thus far are the guidelines in Cisco's
white-paper for ISPs, which (while extremely helpful) seem a little out
of date these days.

Is anyone interested in helping come up with some sort of standard
model, or at least a set of guidelines? Or do people think such a thing
would be unneccessary?

  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est