Re: Yahoo offline because of attack (was: Yahoo network outage)

  • From: Troy Davis
  • Date: Fri Feb 11 21:53:28 2000

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Simon Lyall <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have also emailed the owner to query about current status of the
> project. The www.netscan.org people say they are going to be another week
> before their list is up. In the meantime I have grepped out the AS's with

An update - at the current rate we'll be done on Saturday and will be
integrating it with the CGIs for release next week.  Results are a lot more
promising than the first time we scanned, but there's still tens of thousands
of amps.  I don't have an exact count handy, but I'll post a summary on Monday.

We plan to spend a month or two emailing netblock contacts and working
with backbones who want to use the data as a filter list.  It's fairly likely
the whole list will be released in that timeframe, too.

This incarnation of the broadcast scanner is much faster and the architecture
is cleaner, so we'll be able to keep it more up-to-date.  The current plan is
monthly rescans and emails.

Feel free to email [email protected] (from your ARIN/RIPE/APNIC/other contact
or some verifiable admin address) with a list of netblocks you administer, in
the format:

1.2.3.4/24
4.1.128.0/16
4.2.64/17
etc.

We've automated checking data sets like that against the amp database, so it's
just a matter of waiting for the new scan to finish.  We're debating whether
to enable searches by class B and/or announcements from a given AS.

Cheers,

Troy