Re: Make Inggress Filtering the LAW for all ISPs!

  • From: Sam Thomas
  • Date: Fri Feb 11 09:00:53 2000

On Wed, Mar 19, 2036 at 12:35:53PM -0700, Toplez Razer wrote:

> It should eliminate 99.9% of DOS attacks!

get off my soapbox! :-)

unfortunately, the new breed of ddos is even naughtier than smurf. it relies
on compromised hosts on which a daemon is placed to listen to requests, and
begin flooding someone else's network. really quite effective, and there
isn't just a whole lot of router magic that can save our butts from this.
good host security is absolutely essential to prevent the problem, and it's
not something where a bunch of rogue geeks can go around pointing fingers
and "blacklisting" potential middle-men as easily as they've done with
smurf and friends.

fortunately, we're all sure that our hosts are not compromised. ;-)

--
Sam Thomas
Geek Mercenary