Re: Cisco says attacks are due to operational practices

  • From: Chris Cappuccio
  • Date: Thu Feb 10 22:17:57 2000

Did anyone even read the post I was responding to ??

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, John M. Brown wrote:
>| We have always built martian filters on our edge routers.  In addition we
>| built specific filters for ports that are not used, or are bad on the net.

"Ports that are not used" What about when the tcp stack on a particular
machine dynamically allocates a particular port for some tcp connection and
you are filtering that port ? etc....

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Paul Ferguson wrote:

 | I did't see anyone talking about port-level filtering. What
 | I did see, on the other hand, was someone talking about about
 | filtering Martian network traffic -- stuff which should not
 | be there in the first place.
 |
 | - paul

---
Gates' Law: Every 18 months, the speed of software halves.