Re: Yahoo! Lessons Learned

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Thu Feb 10 20:23:21 2000

Alex Rubenstein <[email protected]> wrote:

> It can also be argued that at some point, the speed
> capabilities of the core router scheme will not be able to keep up with
> currently technology.

Yawn.  What do you think the speed capabilities of "core router
scheme" are?  You know, some very fast routers are rumored to
ship this year.

> It's my opinion that at some point a 'routed' core
> will no longer be feasible, and it will be switched -- using what
> mechanism, I don't know (ATM? MPLS?).

ATM, MPLS (or whatever idiotic virtual circuit scheme there is) can not
increase switching or routing capacity of boxes, period.  These only serve
to screw up dynamic adaptive routing, forcing carriers to rely on wasteful
dual-ring SONET redundancy instead (and it still doesn't protect from a
switch crashing every few minutes).

--vadim