Re: Yahoo! Lessons Learned

  • From: Richard Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Feb 10 16:42:03 2000

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 12:17:28AM -0800, brett watson wrote:

> > So thats another interesting question.. How do you go about doing a
> > packet trace on routers passing giabits of traffic every second
> > without killing the router/network and actually get usefull
> > information out of it?
>
> passive monitoring.  we don't have anything yet to run at oc-x speed
> (pos) but caida is working on several versions of passive monitors and
> at least one commercial vendor is working on one (ip capable).

With a Foundry BigIron you should be able to monitor high speed ports
(they presently offer up to OC12 PoS as well as the usual ethernet) with
no additional load on the device, just dump it directly to a gige port,
get a PC with a $300 netgear gige nic, and you're off and running.
Its not OC192 monitoring but if thats your customer aggregation device
you're much better off, and Foundry is always up to something with bigger
and better on the way...

--
Richard A. Steenbergen <[email protected]>  http://users.quadrunner.com/humble
PGP Key ID: 0x60AB0AD1  (E5 35 10 1D DE 7D 8C A7  09 1C 80 8B AF B9 77 BB)