Re: FBI / NIPC released a DDoSD detection tool?

  • From: Richard Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Feb 10 15:04:06 2000

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 10:44:35AM -0600, Rodney Caston wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is news or not, but looking at
> http://www.fbi.gov/nipc/trinoo.htm - it seems the NIPC has released
> binaries, (no source code, the jerks), for tools to detect if a box has
> trin00, tribal flood net, tfn2k and some other DDoSD's on it.
>
> So far they have a sparc solaris, intel solaris, and x86 linux binary for
> download. While I am shocked to see a government agency writing
> potentially usefull code so quickly, I am dissappointed they didn't
> release their source code so it can be ported to say.. FreeBSD? .. AIX ..
> HP/UX ...  and so on...

There is also code available that sends a kill message to the individual
nodes attacking you upon reception of the attack for the original versions
of trinoo (the non-spoofed or spoofed with the last octet only udp flood
version). Unfortunantly I havn't had a chance to look at the src for any
of the newer flood programs, if someone would be so kind as to forward me
a copy perhaps there are some more easily exploitable ways to use their
poorly designed distributed programs against them, or if nothing else at
least write a scanner with freely distributable source.

--
Richard A. Steenbergen <[email protected]>  http://users.quadrunner.com/humble
PGP Key ID: 0x60AB0AD1  (E5 35 10 1D DE 7D 8C A7  09 1C 80 8B AF B9 77 BB)