Re: Info on the DoS attacks.

  • From: Wayne Bouchard
  • Date: Thu Feb 10 03:23:12 2000

> On Wed, 09 February 2000, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> >  From my perspective, corporations are filtering information through
> > clueless PR flacks to a (relatively clueless) media. I can't buy that sites
> > hit by an attack 48 hours ago "have no idea what is going on." If that's
> > the case, some people need to be fired real quick.
>
> I'm not too concerned about clueless media and PR flacks.
>
> But at NANOG I spoke with several people I thought would know, who didn't.
> I didn't talk to any GlobalCenter folks because I couldn't find any.  They
> disappeared on Monday.  But I did speak with several security people with
> other providers, and they hadn't heard any confirmed technical details.  Just
> speculation about what had happened.  In particular, everyone was wondering
> what made the attack so hard to detect as a DoS.

I ran into half a dozen GC folks while I was there both Monday and
Tuesday. On Monday, of course, most of them get paged back to the
office to deal with the problem and later spent time writing up
incident reports. However, as expected so soon after such an event,
they did not desire very much information to be let loose since they
had not yet finished correlating everything and had not yet finished
their discussions with yahoo on what occured. As for now, well, I too
would be interested in learning exactly what happened (which attack,
roughly how many relays, secondary effects, etc) but the chances of
learning that are slim just because of the fear of PR problems it
might create.

Wayne Bouchard                                    [Immagine Your    ]
[email protected]                                      [Company Name Here]
Network Engineer