Re: Info on the DoS attacks.

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Thu Feb 10 00:33:31 2000
On 9 Feb 2000, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Wed, 09 February 2000, Rodney Caston wrote:
> > I spoke with a person that claimed to understand the attacks that are
> > going on, while I have no proof, I offer this as an example of what to
> > look for on your own systems. So I am presenting this only as a possible
> > example of what has taken place, and until proven correct I concede this
> > is only a "rumor."
>
> Has anyone else noticed the dearth of technical information about these
> attacks?  Although some of the largest web sites, and networks have been
> hit, I still haven't read a confirmed description of exactly what is
> happening.

None that's authoritative, and the FBI is being tight lipped as well.

> Its been three days.  After the Morris Worm, by this point in time I had
> seen several technical descriptions and even portions of decompiled code.
> And I was just an interested Internet user in those days.

Well, these days people are worried about stock prices.  Look at the
adverse effect these attacks over the last few days have had on the
victims' stock prices.

> In this case I still haven't seen confirmation if it was trino, tfn, something
> new, or what.  Or even confirmation if it was a series of HTTP GETs or random
> packets, or some interesting corruption of a packet.  Or if confirmation the
> attacks are coming from the same set of hosts or different ones for each attack.
> If it is the same set of IP addresses, could we RBL (or create a new RBL) them?
>
> Maybe I'm just on the wrong mailing lists.

http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&date=1999-12-01&[email protected]edu
  and
http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&date=1999-12-01&[email protected]edu

--
Joseph W. Shaw - [email protected]
Computer Security Consultant and Programmer