RE: Yahoo offline because of attack (was: Yahoo network outage)

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Wed Feb 09 20:11:14 2000

reason to co-lo.

> These attacks often taken down the attacking-victim as much as the
> attacked-victim, infact often times they run their attacks so strongly
> that they are unable to access the systems to stop them, which is why all
> the distributed attack programs have a built in length of time for the
> attack to run, any signal to "stop" would often never be received.

> Your numbers are totally random with no basis in reality.

About a year and a half ago (ancient times) I had a client where three of
their names servers were penetrated by the MWSH program (Millennium Worm
Shell). The first one exhibited just the behaviour you describe here, the
second one operated at the 3% level that I indicated, and the third one
stayed dormant until I provoked it. The client was all set to believe that
only the one name server was compromised. Whereas all three systems were
completely "owned" by MWSH. We wound up scrubbing all the DASD down to bare
magnetic particles (format with 0xe5 in all sectors) and rebuilding all
three systems from known good sources. We also upgraded them to BIND8 and
placed specific blocks in "/tmp/..." and "/...." (fs level 0000).

> You are correct that most sites do not realize they are participating even
> after a huge attack that cripples BOTH networks.

How could this be? If a host goes into overload and the network is
congested, one would think that there is something screwy going on ...