Re: Yahoo offline because of attack (was: Yahoo network outage)

  • From: Travis Pugh
  • Date: Wed Feb 09 16:00:31 2000

Lots of NSPs and ISPs are tracking customer utilization of links, either
by MRTG or RRD ... .and many of them bill by utilization using these or
other SNMP-based tools.  It should be trivial, during a DDoS attack of the
scale that took down Yahoo, to find participating sites.  A jump from
normal utilization to 100% link utilization should be easily noticible if
it lasts more than 15 minutes (3 polling intervals, if you are doing it at
5 minutes).

It seems to me that a customer would be more than willing to have a
rate-limit or filter installed on their routers during this kind of event,
especially if it helps them track down the compromised machine.

Host-by-host prevention, during an attack, should be very easy
... assuming a minimal amount of cooperation between upstream provider and
compromised network, if link utilization is tracked and the spike is
noticible.  Perhaps we should be notifying operations staff to be on the
lookout for suddenly saturated circuits, and to be prepared to help out
owners of compromised hosts with filter configuration?

Just a thought.

Travis Pugh		Sr. Network Engineer
[email protected]		Shore.net