Re: Yahoo offline because of attack (was: Yahoo network outage)

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Wed Feb 09 11:40:16 2000

At 03:11 AM 2/9/2000 -0800, you wrote:

50 systems across the internet with enough CPU capacity to near-fill a
T-1 on a sustained basis with identical HTTP requests.   Which is to
say any modern multi-hundred-mhz RISC or x86 box with a reasonable OS,
not really "largish".
Multi-hundred-mhz, nothing; a 486/33 can do that.

50 cast-off 486 motherboards with $50 AMD 5x86 processors could saturate those T1s and still get good GUI response.

50 Pentium IIs could do that, running even Windows 95, and probably have enough CPU left to get good RC5 cracking rates. :-)

I think we're leaping to majorly unwarranted conclusions here.