Re: NANOG meeting subject of attack? Hmmmm....

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Wed Feb 09 01:59:15 2000

Just my $0.02...

(please don't flame me saying we already have this if people would ingress
filter, etc., I'm just trying to through some "pie in the sky" so to
speak)

(Flames for being off-topic on nanog are, of course, welcome and
expected - regardless of if I'm off topic or not.).

A LOT of things would be easier if we could tag everyhting with some sort
of unique origin.   Yes, source address verification provides this
(ingress filtering).

If I could definately say that "this attack originated on ISP x's
network" or "this spam came from ISP x's customer" and so on, and I had
enough information that I could hand ISP x the "session id" or something
like that and they could track it back to the customer, then this would
make nailing these creaps easier.

I have for a long time thought that it might be cool to do something with
SMTP so that each customer authenticates to the ISP and all the ISP's
authenticate to each other.   That way, spam could be tracked to the
definate origin ISP and the origin ISP could track it back to the
customer.  You could then say "I'm only going to talk to other sendmails
which will identfy themselves using the xxx trust protocol" That way, you
can effectively guarantee that all mail can be tracked back to the source.

Some people would raise the privacy issue.

First of all, you're already trusting your ISP with your privacy.  The
type of thing I'm suggesting is something that the public could only track
back to the origin ISP and the origin ISP would have to track it to the
customer, and/or make the determination whether to release the information
or not or to terminate the user or not, or to do nothing or not.   That
way, if you're posting "anonomously" to a usenet group, your ISP might
find out, but unless the ISP makes it "public" noone else could find out.

Ok, now I've really rambled on here....  Maybe one more paragraph.

I think that maybe the real thing I'm suggesting is some sort of "web of
trust" kinda like the bofh (or maybe better yet usenet 2) usenet feed,
where everyone in the "web of trust" has to follow the rules and if they
don't they can be removed.  Eventually, you can say "I'm only listening to
AS's which are on the "clean list" which means they at least follow the
anti-spoof provisions of the RFC."

The real question would be how to get something like this going and since
IANAL, whether the lawyers would have a heyday with this.

- Forrest W. Christian ([email protected]) KD7EHZ
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648