RE: Yahoo! Lessons Learned

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Tue Feb 08 12:45:06 2000

I doubt if upper management could have done anything about it. AFAICT, Yahoo
was not compromised directly. Reports that I have seen, and some of them are
hearsay, indicated that this is one of the very first of a distributed DOS
attack. One that CERT recent;ly warned us about.

> Was there something Yahoo!, GlobalCeneter or other providers could
> have done, either individually or in cooperation, to prevent the problem?
>
> Likewise, could they, individually or in cooperation with other providers,
> have shortened the duration or severity by doing something different?

highly unlikely.

> And finally, would they be more successfull in tracking the source the
> the problem by doing something different?

The only defense I can think of is to prevent other systems from being
"owned". This takes a tightly cooperative environment. We don't have this.
At best, we have a loosely co-operative anarchy, with none of the big
entities playing together consistently. Evenso, this may not be possible.