Yahoo offline because of attack (was: Yahoo network outage)

  • From: Declan McCullagh
  • Date: Mon Feb 07 20:36:04 2000

Yahoo told me on the phone that it's a malicious attack, and Global Center says the same thing. In Yahoo's words: "a coordinated distributed denial of service attack."

We've got a brief story up at:
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,34178,00.html

The problem apparently originated with a router. But what kind of attack could have taken the network offline for that period of time and not affected other Global Center customers? I mean, there had to have been a gaping security hole somewhere: It looks like the routes got lost for (nearly) all of the Yahoo network, but no other non-Yahoo sites...

-Declan