Re: SERVER NAMES

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Thu Feb 03 02:58:19 2000

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> > Sure.  Esp. for blackhats.  Which makes the more "attactive" target;
> >
> > 	db.accounting.bigcorp.com
> > 	foozlebutt.bigcorp.com
>
> Do we need to re-visit the "security through obscurity" argument here?

I think some level of obscurity is needed when it comes to DNS names.
Think about how many people still include things like HINFO, WKS, AFSDB,
X25, ISDN, and RT records in their zone files.  It's a lot less common
than it used to be, though I come across them every so often.

The idea is that by obscuring some areas of information via certain
services, it will be easier to catch Cracker X via an IDS, firewall,
etc. when he/she has to use alternate means to get the information he/she
wants.

Example:

Company A has a big bad firewall and IDS setup that they paid a lot of
money for to stop people from trying to mount attacks into their soft,
chewy corporate network, full of confidential information and R&D
boxes.  So, they can do such neat things as detect portscans and block
incoming traffic from the offending host and other such things in an
effort to help keep information about their network a secret.  Not a bad
thing, really, though the ability for network security hardware to make
decisions on it's own still makes me a bit uneasy, but that's getting off
on a tangent.

So, they've got this great setup, but they've been kind enough to provide
you with WKS and HINFO records and the ability to transfer their entire
zone file(s).  Then you've got an instant list of servers and what
OS/services they are running without ever using nmap/strobe, making all
that money invested in the firewall and IDS somewhat of a waste.  It's
certainly self-defeating.  I've found large companies who seem to have a
SysAdmin group handling all the servers/services (DNS) and a Networking
group handling the firewalls and IDS don't seem to communicate very
well.  It comes down to a case of the right hand not knowing exactly what
the left is doing, and it's detrimental to the security posture of any
company.

But, in some cases this can work to your advantage.  You can name a
honeypot machine customerbillingdb.company.com with HINFO of something
really exploitable like RedHat 5.1 or an old Solaris version and see what
kind of things happen.

Wow, pseudo-operational content about the effectiveness of hostnames.

--
Joseph W. Shaw - [email protected]
Computer Security Consultant and Programmer