NoOp: NANOG, boating, art galleries, raves, networking for geeks

  • From: Lauren F. Nowlin
  • Date: Wed Feb 02 20:30:40 2000

Hi all,

Several NANOGrs have asked for a summary of the social details for this weekend in the Bay Area...  Here is the basic agenda:

Saturday, 5-Feb:

3:00 pm:  Meet in the lobby at the DoubleTree.  Will caravan from San Jose to SFO & sightsee until 5 pm

5:00-5:15 pm.: Entrance to Pier 39 for a sunset boat trip around the Bay. $10 per person.

7:30 pm: Casual chat over dinner at Fisherman's Grotto #9.  I'm going to make the reservation for 8 pm under the name NANOG but really need to give the restaurant as close as possible to accurate numbers... so, please RSVP if you haven't already.

10:00 pm:  The art gallery is at 1151 Mission and there is a huge parking lot right across the street that charges $5.   There will be water & beer (pale, red & stout).  The bottom of this message will have short bios for each of the DJ's.

10-11:30 Mark Musselman
11:30-1:15 Spesh
1:15-3:00 Biojeff

Sunday, 6-Feb:
Bill Norton - [email protected] - is coordinating the paintball/Santa Cruz trip

5:00 pm meet in the lobby of the DoubleTree to forage for sushi.

Looking forward to seeing y'all,
-Ren

Mark Musselman - Dir. Business Development, Cidera (formerly Skycache).  Newcomer on the SF music scene, Mark honed his skills on the East Coast in the early InterCon and Digex days. Expect an
eclectic mix of futuristic Breaks and Beats in the House. Mark is also looking for terrestrial network partners to stream audio and video of this event in conjunction with the Cidera satellite system.  Hmmm, can't think of anything else. I'm not published yet. (soon hopefully!)

DJ Spesh was born and raised in the scrappy ghettos of St. Helena. His DJ roots can be traced back to that fateful day he broke the knobs on his father's stereo from continuously turning the volume and balance knobs back and forth and back and forth after drinking a six pack of Coke and eating a bag of Funyuns. Since then, Spesh has had numerous residencies at SF clubs, co-founded and then co-produced tracks on the seminal Trip 'n Spin Recordings label, been the other half of the duo known as Jondi & Spesh (as seen on MTV's AMP and in the record/cd shops of America), and partnered with Lasse Lo�q and Jondi to form Lo�q Records.  Jondi & Spesh have released well over a dozen records since '94.  As SF's premiere underground progressive house and techno DJ, Spesh creates hard-bangin' fist pumpin' totally smooth mixes whenever he touches the turntables. A variety of phreeks and qo�lios can be seen modulating to his booming sets every week at the techno underground happy hour "Qo�l" (every Wednesday at 111 Minna from 5-9pm). When not on the decks or in the studio, Spesh is usually hard at work at the grill. A fifth degree black belt in BBQ, Spesh has been known to simultaneously cook fifteen to twenty large pieces of meat to succulent perfection.  links related to spesh: www.looq.com spesh's music is archived on: www.technostate.com www.groovetech.com

Hi Ren, MarkM asked me to email you with a blurb about myself, so here goes. I have been dj'ing for ~10 years and promote a monthly S.F. party called Rotate. I am also an integral member of the Syntonic parties. Along with spinning, I write music in the studio with a friend under the name Bandwidth. One of our tracks is featured in the movie Groove. I have streamed sets on www.groovefactory.com and www.radio-v.com. Thats about it... Oh yea, I like good beer!

-Ren

Lauren F. Nowlin, [email protected] / [email protected]
Director, Peering & Interconnects - http://www.onyx.net/peering/
Onyx Networks, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Pacific Gateway Exchange
Voice: 650-558-3262,  Fax: 650-558-3160, Cellphone: 650-281-6963