Re: www.etrade.com has no DNS A record !

  • From: Christopher E. Brown
  • Date: Mon Jan 31 19:24:22 2000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, John Hawkinson wrote:

> Why is discussion of a single site's DNS configuration screwup
> appropriate for NANOG?
>
> Is your goal to get the word out to people who use E*TRADE?
> I don't think NANOG is right for that.
>
> Is your goal to get the word out to network providers of people
> who use E*TRADE? Do you really expect that many of them will
> forward this announcement or make good use of it? Should
> a message be sent to NANOG every time CNN, Netscape, or Yahoo
> go down?
>
> Am I missing something here? [Like a sense of humor?]

	Because etrade is a site (among many) that customers tend to
get very pissed if they cannot reach.  While a long drawn out argument
about it is silly, the initial announcement is useful.  It helped my
staff handle the multiple 'Your network is broken and you are losing
me $$$ you $%^^&^%&' calls.

	Very nice to be able to say 'No, we are fine, ETrade is
however suffering from a configuration failure with their DNS.  There
are currently Nationwide issues getting to them.'

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.