Re: Definition of Congestion

  • From: Henry R. Linneweh
  • Date: Sun Jan 30 23:25:11 2000

I think this is the real issue here
http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-99-07.html
tribe and trinoo

Sam Thomas wrote:

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 12:35:18AM -0800, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Should the Internet follow the nuclear and power industry and come up with
> a set of standarized terms for different degrees of events: blackout, brownout,
> flicker, etc.  Or follow the telecommunication industry which uses a single
> word, congestion, for most problems.

<sigh> it took this long for someone to ask that question in a public place?

I think we should go further than that, and develop an internet standard
for noc-noc communications. at least some sort of bcp, so that those who
conform can know what to expect when calling a peer (in the literal, not
necessarily BGP sense) noc who also claims to conform to such an ad-hoc
"standard". for instance, it would be nice to consistently be able to get
a peer noc to open a ticket on reported troubles, get them to cooperate
in tracking security (i.e. DoS attacks) problems, etc. in 30 years, the
ability for computers to converse with eachother and negotiate reasonably
has improved exponentially. there are still humans sitting behind them
however, who still have problems with this after several thousand years
of evolution.

$0.02 +/- 0.02

Sam

--