Re: New form of packet attack named Stream

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Mon Jan 24 14:45:24 2000

A better-late-than-never followup:

[email protected] (Jamie Rishaw) writes:

> Unless you are
> Vixie
> A major s/w key figure
> or comparable entity
>
> .. or someone that knows me IRL, and has for some time .. please do not
> e-mail me asking for the code.

I sent Jamie a request, and he sent me the code (thanks!) and I read it and
indeed it's not real different from a lot of other synflooders out there (but
it sure is the cleanest implementation I've seen).

Someone from ISC ran it against F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET for a while, and while the
gross CPU usage went up, the rate of DNS response generation did not change.
Thus we concluded that a 4-CPU Alpha ES40 running Tru64 5.0 is "safe".

--
Paul Vixie <[email protected]>
SVP for Internet Services, MFNX

M.I.B.H. Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Metromedia Fiber Network, Inc.