Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Wed Jan 19 11:03:26 2000

[ On , January 15, 2000 at 22:24:53 (-0800), Paul Vixie wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS
>
> So, Greg, have you stopped beating your wife?  (Never mind.)

Oh, boy, you were being a real asshole the other day....

I'll have you know that I didn't see this until today because I've been
in the hospital caring for my wife who fell and broke her ankle very
badly the other day.

If I were an American I'd have your ass in court.  But I'm not a
slandering inconsiderate bastard.

> You're assuming that packets with your IP address on either end of them are
> sacred in some way and have the right to pass unmolested on any wire no
> matter who pays for that wire or what their preferences are.  I find that
> reasoning strikingly similar to what spammers say about THEIR traffic, and
> I'm starting to wonder why you are defending the efforts of an anti-spam
> organization (ORBS) if your ethical sympathies are all completely compatible
> with "theft of service"?

That's funny.  The kind of service you're arguing against is exactly
what I expect of my telephone, my cell phone, my pager, etc.  Why is an
Internet carrier supposed to be any different.  Get with the real world
Paul and quit fussing about completely meaningless nonsense.

(Spammers are of course on the *opposite* side of that argument and are
pushing their junk out -- but that's a different story.)

> So your provider ought not do anything about smurf attacks forged in your
> name, either?

Not unless I explicitly ask them to (or of course unless the attack is
causing a denial of their service to other customers too, but if that's
the case then I would have to say they are under-capacity and not doing
their engineering very well.

> ORBS and MAPS have a mutual nonaggression pact, which I'm skating near the
> edge of by entering this discussion at all.  No, I won't be "proving it."

I think you wandered well over the edge, actually.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>