Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

  • From: J.D. Falk
  • Date: Tue Jan 18 17:29:02 2000

On 01/18/00, Barry Shein <[email protected]> wrote:

> We need a fresh approach, probably not a technical approach.

	This has held true for some years now: technology (filters
	of various types) in the short term, legislation in the
	medium term, and education in the long term.

> And that's one reason they tend to get verbally vicious when you
> question their sacred cows, so you're distracted (or disgusted) from
> noting that they're just armchair quarterbacks.

	That's a good point, actually.  Until you've had to sit there
	on the phone and make polite noises while somebody's sweet
	grandmother takes out her technology-fearing frustration on
	you because she can't get her $20/month dialup to work, you
	really don't understand the consumer ISP industry.

	Not to say that people who haven't done that aren't able to
	be extremely clueful -- quite the contrary, there are quite a
	few people who /have/ done that and don't have two clues to
	rub together -- but it helps put things in perspective, and
	perspective is one thing we geeks have trouble with.

  |  "I, Foo Bar, leader of the Usenet High Council and lord of all I    |
  |   survey, do hereby order you to destroy any trace of the user Spam  |
  |   Baz, hereafter to be referred to as 'pud.'"  -- Paul Phillips      |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----