Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

  • From: J.D. Falk
  • Date: Mon Jan 17 19:23:55 2000

On 01/17/00, Brian Dickson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > These days I've been unable to find any justifiable need for an
> > > unprotected relay of any sort whatsoever.
> >
> > We do domain hosting and mail redirection (among other things), but we
> > don't do dialup. [...] When they want to send mail out,
> > they have to do it through their IAP's mail server.
>
> As much as it's a small hassle, any user stuck behind a horrible IAP,
> what about setting the SMTP to the *recipient's* MX host. Since this would
> be local delivery, would it not be accepted, regardless of source?
> (The hassle is, of course, changing SMTP for each receipient domain...)

	Spam software has been doing that for quite some time now.
	That's why so many dialup providers, both big and small, are
	blocking port 25 at their borders.

	Yes, I know, clueful people will (a) hate that, and (b) find
	ways around it, but over 99% of dialup users aren't ever gonna
	be that clueful...nor should they need to be.

  |    "I got a machine and took over the world, but nothing changed.    |
  |     That would not be fair."                                         |
  |                                   -- The Violent Femmes              |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----