Re: CEF Load balancing...

  • From: Forrest W. Christian
  • Date: Sun Jan 16 19:33:34 2000

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> How stable is IOS 12?  We tried CEF some time ago, and the build wasn't
> stable.  I'd sure like to use it, assuming everything works.

CEF in general breaks weird and interesting things.

In a "normal" router all should be ok.

We have a situation where CEF in a particilar 12.0.x version broke the BVI
interface in an IRB configuration w/ATM.   Then the next version broke
forwarding between an ATM interface and a Ethernet interface in an
interesting way (I haven't tracked down the specifics on the second case
yet.)

All in all, CEF works wonders, if it doesn't break something with its
extra-fancy forwarding.

- Forrest W. Christian ([email protected]) KD7EHZ
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648