Re: CEF Load balancing...

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Sun Jan 16 13:17:03 2000

CEF is safe to a point. We're running it on 11.1CC(30), and it runs pretty
well. We had memory leak problems in earlier versions on the 11.1CC train.
I wouldn't use it for IMUXing, though. Check out Tiara Networks for their
MLPPP engine. It's pretty nifty.

CEF does a nice job of bringing the CPU down on a fully loaded 7513.
That's all i'd use it for, until all the bugs get worked out. I had a bad
experience using CEF on 12.0.5 in the type of situation you are
describing. If a serial flapped, there was a small chance that the router
CPU would go nuts, effectively making the router unmanageable.

On a related note - Any ISPs out there using 12.0(s) yet in widespread
release?

Daniel L. Golding        *  Senior Network Engineer
Network Engineering      *  Mindspring Enterprises
[email protected]  *