Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS [LONG]

  • From: Pat Myrto
  • Date: Fri Jan 14 18:04:15 2000

Randy Bush has declared that:

>  [ ... ]
>
> > Those who violate principles of responsible networking morally forfeit any
> > claim of protection under the same principles.
>
> somehow, i think this high-sounding moral stand would not prevail in a court
> of non-vigilante law.  in fact, crackers who tried it as a defense failed.

And also, who defines "responsible networking"?   Some self-appointed sort?

Checking a server following complaints I think is OK (as long as it doesnt
get out of hand tantamount to an attack), but someone taking it on oneself
to be the official tester of the net and testing all servers they can
find, unasked, and w/o permission or probable cause (i.e., complaints),
is guilty of the sort of thing they claim to be opposing, IMO.

Pat M/HW

--
#include <std.disclaimer.h>    Pat Myrto (pat at rwing dot ORG)     Seattle WA
How government differs from every other agency in society: The others