Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

  • From: Henry R. Linneweh
  • Date: Fri Jan 14 16:41:04 2000

Thank you for reading deeper into the issue and pointing this out..

Shawn McMahon wrote:

Please refer to this paragraph from their FAQ:

If you'd like to firewall the test machine, go right ahead. You'll test as
fixed, then be removed from the database and you can bask in the false
sense of security that you're not included as an open relay. Meantime, what
will probably happen is that various spammer probes will find you, add your
machine to the lists which they sell and hundreds of junkmailers will relay
their crud through you - then you'll end up in our static table as a
verified open relay when someone mails us that spam and we confirm there's
a firewall up against our tester. Additionally, you'll most likely end up
in dozens, if not hundreds of blocking lists operated by individual admins
as they receive spam via your server - and it's far easier to get out of
ORBS than out of a whole bunch of lists you've never heard of. If you must
firewall, do it properly and only allow your own machines access to the
open relay.

I refer you specifically to the last part of the third sentence:

"...and we confirm there's a firewall up against our tester."

And we *CONFIRM*.  Not speculate, not hear, CONFIRM.

If they aren't doing that, they're wrong.  That's my position.

To say that my position denotes ignorance as to their policies is asinine.

I'm done with this thread.

--
Thank you;