Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Thu Jan 13 18:29:11 2000

>> Above.Net really is filtering ORBS.  And if ORBS lists people who block
>> them.....
> indeed!  and just imagine the ensuing chaos if orbs decided to (or got
> hacked and was made to) list the root-servers.

two horrifying further thoughts occurred to me during my mid-afternoon
popcorn break.

  o if someone hacked into isps' routers they could announce the root
    servers and just imagine the ensuing chaos.  so, should we take down
    all bgp-speaking routers.

    i bet you think not.  so maybe this is not the issue, but security and
    spam are.

  o if someone hacked orbs and blocked the merit smtp host, we could all
    be deprived of the critical operational information we get from this
    mailing list <gasp!>.

but we should back off and not usurp bill's job as the bad-but-cute idea
fairy.

randy