Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

  • From: Henry R. Linneweh
  • Date: Thu Jan 13 16:15:00 2000

I see them listing specific addresses from a netblock that is hacked either
through
their dns server for that particular hosted domain and or their email is an open
relay, to say that it is limited to the entire netblock does not appear to be a
statement of fact based on my use of the toolset to track spammers.

"Derek J. Balling" wrote:

> At 12:18 PM -0500 1/13/00, Harald Koch wrote:
> >Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, "Sehmel, William C."
> >had to walk into mine and say:
> >  >
> >  > Got this from bugtraq.
> >
> >Alot of us did. I thought about posting it to nanog, but then I actually
> >researched the issue a bit, and discovered that securityfocus' listerver is
> >*not* in the ORBS database at this time.
> >
> >Sounds like FUD to me.
>
> As an ORBS user and a BugTraq subscriber, let me tell you it IS in
> the database, but you can't find it "individually", because its in a
> "netblock" entry...
>
> narn:~ # host 207.126.127.68
> 68.127.126.207.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer lists.securityfocus.com
> narn:~ # host 68.127.126.207.relays.orbs.org
> 68.127.126.207.relays.orbs.org has address 127.0.0.4
>
> So let me just reiterate that it ISN'T FUD, they really are listing
> all of above.net, and I really did stop receiving BugTraq because of
> it. :)

Thank you;
| Thinking is a learned process so is UNIX   |
Henry R. Linneweh