Re: Selection of Appropriate Local SMTP Relay

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Tue Jan 11 03:15:24 2000

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> When you buy wholesale dialup how does the internet-destined traffic get
> routed from your customer to the internet.
>
> If it goes from the dialup through the wholesaler's network to yours and
> to the internet, this will not cause breakage (I doubt this is the case).

Nope, but even if it did and the wholesaler was routing those well known
addresses to their own servers, that traffic wouldn't end up on my network
or my SMTP servers unless there was some ugly VPN stuff going on.

> If it goes from the dialup through the wholesaler's network and directly
> to the internet, this WILL cause breakage.

Yup.

> I do understand that there is going to be some breakage.  Especially when
> your customers don't dial into you.   That's when having them
> hard-configure their software for your servers and having them use POP
> before SMTP auth makes since.

I think my point here is that most dialup users today are in this
situation.  Most of largest dialup providers out there use wholesalers for
dialup.  If I had to guess, I'd say that users in this situation probably
amount to over half of the population in the US.

I'm not saying I have the right answer, just that whatever the answer is
should support at least a majority of the current base.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  [email protected]
                                                            ICQ:  2269442
Read RFC 2644!
Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.