Re: Selection of Appropriate Local SMTP Relay

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Tue Jan 11 02:07:24 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> I'm going to make a pitch for the IP-address based method.
>
> Specifically, if you have a set of well known IP addresses for common
> services, thus something like:
>
> 223.255.255.1 - Primary DNS
> 223.255.255.2 - Secondary DNS
> 223.255.255.3 - SMTP Mail
> 223.255.255.4 - Time Server
>
> You could very easily support this in ANY network.  No additional
> HW/software required.

Not quite, this would actually cause more problems for those of us who use
wholesalers for our dialup services than it would solve.  It's quite
important to us for many reasons for our customers to use our SMTP
servers, not our wholesaler's.  If each AS directed all the traffic from
these well known addresses to their 'best' SMTP server, we wouldn't be
able to stop our customers from sending spam or control the quality of our
SMTP services.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  [email protected]
                                                            ICQ:  2269442
Read RFC 2644!
Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.