Re: Selection of Appropriate Local SMTP Relay

  • From: J.D. Falk
  • Date: Mon Jan 10 19:36:21 2000

On 01/10/00, Daniel Senie <[email protected]> wrote:

> There exists a DHCP option for specifying the SMTP server for a client
> to use (option 69). This could be used in the case of DSL and cable
> modems, but I'm unaware of anyone actually using it. I also haven't seen
> anything to lead me to believe mail client applications have any way to
> get this from the local system should the value be negotiated.

	Yes, I was about to post this as well.  In fact, DHCP has
	all sorts of room for specifying things like this...but we
	have yet to see 'em implemented anywhere.

	The days of upgrading the entire Internet within six months
	are long, long past.

  |   "UNIX is the answer,                                               |
  |          but only if you phrase the question very carefully."        |
  |                                               -- Jonathan H N Chin   |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----