Re: Netgate.net.nz/ORBS spam colusion

  • From: I Am Not An Isp
  • Date: Mon Jan 10 00:31:46 2000

At 05:00 PM 1/9/00 -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:

>We do ignore them. They are pretty ineffective at causing any mail problems
>for us. Which is another good reason not to use them. However, they enable
>spammers to find relays. Particularly annoying to me is they enable
>spammers to find our relay. When ORBS was blocked from 11/24 to 12/15, our
>relay troubles stopped. Spammers can't relay without a list of relays.
>ORBS provides that list.

Why don't you go after mail-abuse.org? They have an open relay list and I thought they wanted to make new law. (Someone from mail-abuse.org is welcome to correct me if my impression is incorrect.) That way at least both parties are willing participants in the litigation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of ORBS and do not use it. But I would hate to see what happens if lists of publicly available information is judged illegal.

I wonder if search engines can be sued for listing sites they found through web crawling? I can just claim I do not want to password protect my sensitive information and now that people are finding the page in a search engine they are downloading said sensitive information without my approval. So it MUST be the search engine's fault, or better yet, their upstream's fault. I mean, they had to do an HTTP-get to find the information, isn't that intrusion upon my property?

Can't wait to see how this pans out. And, yes, Dean, I am hoping that you lose and lose so badly no one tries it again.

> --Dean

TTFN,
patrick

--