Re: Netgate.net.nz/ORBS spam colusion

  • From: Derek J. Balling
  • Date: Sun Jan 09 00:15:20 2000

At 5:30 PM -0500 1/8/00, Dean Anderson wrote:
Around 08:14 AM 1/8/2000 -0800, rumor has it that Owen DeLong said:

 >However, I must question whether the activity Dean discusses is actually
 >criminal.  He does not accuse them of carrying out the attacks, he
 >accuses them of transporting information published by a third party
 >which notifies the world that his site is vulnerable to these attacks.

Umm, for the record, I do make such an accusation. When they probe a
non-public government computer, they are violating 18 USC 1030 Sections
2(b), 2(c), and 3.  Those are criminal violations.  You simply may not
probe government computers. Doing so is immediately a crime.  The $5000
limit is only for non-government computers.
Wait, let me get something clear here...

18 USC 1030... USC == United States Code
netgate.net.nz ... nz == New Zealand

Does the US somehow have jurisdiction over people in another country? Last time I checked, New Zealand was a sovereign country, and its citizens were bound by its OWN laws, and not the laws of the USA.