Re: Netgate.net.nz/ORBS spam colusion

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Sat Jan 08 11:19:08 2000

However, I must question whether the activity Dean discusses is actually
criminal.  He does not accuse them of carrying out the attacks, he
accuses them of transporting information published by a third party
which notifies the world that his site is vulnerable to these attacks.

Since Dean has published information to NANOG and other public forums
stating that:
	1.	His sites _ARE_ vulnerable.
	2.	He has no willingness to fix these vulnerabilities.
	3.	He intends to make the internet at large responsible
		for his negligence WRT these sites.

I seriously doubt that publishing a list of known public-nuissances
is genuinely illegal.  Further, unless Dean has presented netgate
with a court-order showing that the court has indeed found said
activity to be illegal, I think they would be negligent in turning
off said service.

How would you like it if your ISP shut you down because I
complained to them that you were sending out messages that
contained information that was publicly available, but which
I didn't want published?  That's what Dean's really saying.

Owen