Normal problems, only from small and medium ISPs

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Jan 03 00:21:38 2000

Yesterday someone commented about the lack of "normal" problems you
might expect on any day of the year.

As far as I know, no large carrier, ISP or satellite company reported
any problems Y2K or otherwise.  Nevertheless small and medium ISPs
continued to report the usual circuit problems and other issues right
through the weekend.  There did seem to be fewer trouble than average,
but it wasn't zero.

This was one of the issues I spoke about with the Feds earlier this
summer, and one of the reasons why I pushed so hard to get reporting
from small and medium ISPs.  After all very few small and medium ISPs
own their own facilities, so the circuit problems were likely in
facilities owned by the larger carriers even though the carriers
reported no problems.  By listening to the small and medium providers,
they would be more likely to hear about problems in the carrier
facilities faster than the carriers would on their own.

Last week one major carrier spokesperson was even quoted in an
interview they were only going to report things required by the
FCC, which as you know does not included any wireless or Internet
problems.