BGP session resets

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Jan 02 18:30:25 2000

In the last 48 hours I have received several reports about different
providers resetting or reloading ALL of their external BGP sessions
due to problems.  I have not heard why the ISP reset their sessions,
or details of what the problem is/was.

At first I just assumed it was normal maintenance activity.  ISPs
do reload their BGP sessions on a regular basis.  But as additional
reports are coming in, it doesn't seem to be normal maintenance. The
resets are ISP network-wide, and happening outside of typical maintenance
windows.

I have reports four different ISPs needed to reset their BGP.  A small
number, and it may just be because people are watching things a bit closer
than normal.

Does anyone know why ISPs are doing this?