Re: mail does bounce (was: Customers down?)

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Sun Jan 02 15:33:31 2000

> On Sat, 01 January 2000, "Steven J. Sobol" wrote:
> > What I was referring to was a situation where the domain does exist in the
> > root nameservers but the authoritative nameservers are unavailable.
>
> So .COM exists in the root servers?  How do you decide to treat second
> level domains (i.e. donelan.com) versus third level domains
> (i.e. www.donelan.com) versus third level domains under country code
> domains.

I'll take a stab at this:

	Attempting to resolve a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i

	If you get back a return value from DNS that says
		"Authoritative answer, a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i does not exist"
	Bounce the mail.

	If you get back a return that says
		"Resolving a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h.i timed out without a return"
	Queue the mail.

This also works for i, h.i, g.h.i, f.g.h.i, etc.

Owen