Re: Netscape JavaScript getYear() problem? CONFIRMED

  • From: Lloyd Taylor
  • Date: Sun Jan 02 01:58:27 2000

Looks like it's not a bug, but a feature.  Here's the official
info from Netscape's developer's pages:

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/core/jsref/date.htm#1194138

getYear
  Returns the year in the specified date according to local time.

JavaScript 1.3: deprecated; also, getYear returns the year minus
1900 regardless of the year specified
    ECMA version ECMA-262
  Description
    getYear is no longer used and has been replaced by the getFullYear
method.

    The getYear method returns the year minus 1900; thus:

      For years above 2000, the value returned by getYear is 100 or
greater. For example, if the year is 2026, getYear returns 126.

      For years between and including 1900 and 1999, the value returned
by getYear is between 0 and 99. For example, if the year is 1976,
getYear returns 76.

      For years less than 1900 or greater than 1999, the value returned
by getYear is less than 0. For example, if the year is 1800,
getYear returns -100.

      To take into account years before and after 2000, you should use
Date.getFullYear instead of getYear so that the year is specified
in full.

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/core/jsref/date.htm#1193607

getFullYear
  Returns the year of the specified date according to local time.
Implemented in JavaScript 1.3
    ECMA version  ECMA-262
  Description
    The value returned by getFullYear is an absolute number. For dates
between the years 1000 and 9999, getFullYear returns a four-digit
number, for example, 1995. Use this function to make sure a year is
compliant with years after 2000.

    Use this method instead of the getYear method.

====

So, apparently Microsoft does it wrong, so it works, and Netscape
does it right, so it doesn't. *grin*

'course, it'll be interesting to see how the press reports on all
the sites showing addresses like "Jan 1, 19100" due to this little
item.....

--Lloyd