Report from New Zealand

  • From: I Am Not An Isp
  • Date: Fri Dec 31 07:05:29 1999

I was on the phone & IRC with a gentleman from New Zealand just now. He has posted his status on http://y2k.win.co.nz/cgi-bin/y2k.cgi. He asked me to post some observations to NANOG because he is not on NANOG-post (and because the FGC conference call is rather useless with all that background noise due to people leaving their speaker phones on without mute - but it would have been nice, thanx for trying Alan).

He says that the Internet operated pretty much without a flaw, although utilization probably went up more than normal. :)

However, the phone system is almost completely useless. He has two phones in his office and cannot call one from the other. (Although he says they are on different exchanges, so they might not hit the same CO.) Dial tone is there, but after dialing numbers, just dead air. Which is weird, because when I called him it rang and he picked up, no static or anything. (We do have a switch in NZ, but we have to ride the local PTT to the destination phone.)

This is causing unusual failure modes for some systems, especially ISDN routers which are common in .nz and .au.

So, overall, I would say that the world is probably not going to end. :)

TTFN,
patrick

--
I Am Not An Isp - www.ianai.net