Re: The Y2K glitches start being reported

  • From: Patrick Evans
  • Date: Thu Dec 30 08:52:22 1999

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> Although not exactly "network" related, another issue which
> is not directly related to Y2K, but potentially troublesome
> for some users nonetheless, is the fact that older versions
> of browsers contain some digital certificates which expire at
> the end of 1999, introducing potential problems with conducting
> electronic commerce transactions beginning Jan. 1.

We've been through this one before, as we use Thawte certs for
ourselves and our customers. There are still people out there using
browsers with old certs, and of course the customers come back to us
and go "verisign certs seem to work, why did you sell us one that
doesn't?" - the usual "i don't care if it's the browser at fault, i
want one that works with faulty browsers" situation :/

Unlikely to actually introduce any real problems, but will flash up a
few warning messages about untrusted certs (the error message most
browsers produce is always misinterpreted by the user).
Not a serious operational issue, as such, but almost certain to induce
some minor hysteria with lusers of a more nervous disposition.

My greatest admiration goes out to the divots who timed them to expire
during the Y2K rollover, though! Well done chaps!

--
Patrick Evans - Sysadmin, bran addict and couch potato
pre at pre dot org                     www.pre.org/pre