Re: End of year freeze (Re: Y2k silly season)

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Mon Dec 27 17:36:49 1999

On 27 Dec 1999, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Mon, 27 December 1999, Deepak Jain wrote:
> > Speaking of telephone style networks. Has anyone noticed significant
> > degradation in their cell/pager coverage/performance over the last couple
> > of weeks?
>
> What type of degradation?  I haven't noticed any larger than normal problems.

Poor signal strength, unusually high number of fast busies when trying to
reach local and long distance land lines. High delays in call processing,
Higher than normal numbers of automatic redials on call-initiation.

This in areas like Tyson's Corner, South Beach, New York City, and
surrounding areas.

>From a pager point of view, (Skytel is the easiest to pick on). Areas
that should be 100% full service are showing up in sections as Basic
service. Basic service areas are not delivering 100% of the pages until
Full service is returned, etc. Same regions. Walking through normal Basic
service areas are showing up as Storing messages (no tower connectivity).
Essentially the same areas as above.

> Many carriers have a end of year freeze on network changes.  Although the
> freeze has been planned for a long time, I notice it didn't stop sales
> people from promising due dates during the freeze period.  If you are
> expecting to see new service turned up on Dec 31, I don't think your
> odds are very good.
>
> Some of my friends at other carriers told me they had a big push to get a
> lot of changes into their networks before December 23 to beat the freeze.

Maybe, I have been noticing it since about a week before Thanksgiving.

Deepak Jain
AiNET