Re: Y2k silly season

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Mon Dec 27 15:46:50 1999

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Robert Cannon wrote:

> In regards to self fulfilling prophecies:
>
> The phone companies won't admit it but they are scared that at 1 second
> past midnight, everyone will say to themselves, "Hmmm, lights are still on,
> I wonder if the phones have stopped working?" and then within 1 minute,
> millions of people will be lifting their phones off the hooks to check
> dial-tone.  You know what happens when that happens. :-)

This is only a problem in some networks. Most of the time the actual
dial tone does not congest the system. As someone who builds telephone
networks I have to say that at least the 26 CLECs I work with will do
fine. :) I am more worried about the people factor, when people freak out
you can have problems.

><>
Nathan Stratton				Tricetel Consulting
http://www.tricetel.net			[email protected]