Re: After Y2K, critical infrastructure

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Dec 23 22:22:18 1999

At 08:49 PM 12/23/99 -0500, Deepak Jain wrote:
>Sorry to ruin your sleep. NT is ONLY C2 certified as a standalone
>workstation. I.e. NO NETWORKING DRIVERS ENABLED

Good grief Charlie Brown, it was a joke.

C2 certification means about as much as Y2K certification.  There are
so many qualifications they are meaningless in any real world situation.
It's another checkmark you have to make on the paperwork before winning
the bid.

I know my laptop is ready because it came with a Y2K-ready sticker on it.
After I brought it home, I only needed to download a half-dozen different
patches for Y2K, security, and just plain bugs.

The issue of being C2 certified only as a standalone workstation is hardly
unique to Microsoft NT.  As far as I know, ALL the C2 certified operating
systems Unix, VMS, VM, etc are only in standalone mode.  Others, such
as Linux, aren't certified even in standalone mode (well, maybe in the
unplugged, encased in concrete, and dropped to the bottom of the ocean mode).
If that wasn't a troll, I don't know what is.