Re: Internet Y2K and Europe, South America, and Middle East

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Dec 21 03:30:03 1999

On Mon, 20 December 1999, "Alex P. Rudnev" wrote:
> What do you want to monitor? real time problems are not supposed to appear,
> billing and accounting problems are not monitored at all. Why so many people
> aware unexisting problems (some computer refuse to work due to Y2K - let me
> smile for a 10 minutes hearing this - and so few people really understand Y2K
> problems (billing systems, accounting systems, daily-log-analysing systems, and
> so on). But this means that real Y2K problems appear approximateky 3 - 10 of
> january, not at 12:00 31-December.
>
> And this means all this ISP monitoring is useless, you'll monitor not more than
> people's paranoia about Y2K and will not monitor any real problems.

I don't actually think the monitoring will pick up any Y2K problems.  I'm
interested in the communications and monitoring to pickup all the other
problems, and trying to head off rumors when something inevitably doesn't
work.

For example, tonight if you go to the US government's Y2K web site it's not
working.  It appears to be a server problem with http://www.y2k.gov/ and not
a network problem.  You get an error  "The request did not specify a valid
virtual host."  I don't think its Y2K problem, and if we could contact the
operators, we might find out what's wrong.

If something like that happened in the early morning of January 1, without
good information, rumors will spread.