Re: ORBS block

  • From: Tim Wolfe
  • Date: Fri Dec 17 17:28:57 1999

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> If e-mail operators are having some kind of trouble with ORBS then
> that's a different issue, but *not* one that requires network-level
> intervention, especially not upstream from *anyone*.
>
> It is most important that people not confuse these issues.  ORBS is not
> a network thing -- it only affects a single service.

My point, which you so adroitly ignored, was that the "upstream" is under no
obligation of any kind NOT to block ORBS from reaching you if they so
choose.  Your ONLY recourse is if you happen to be a customer of "upstream"
in which case you may be able to use your contract to embroil them in a
legal battle or you may choose just to take your business elsewhere.   If I
decide to block Random Company's network from access to mine, and you aren't
my customer, tough luck pal.  You can dictate my network policies when you
pry the keyboard from my cold dead fingers.

I speak only for myself and my dog.

-- Tim

* Timothy M. Wolfe, Chief Network Engineer       *
* ClipperNet Corporation / It's a wireless world *
* [email protected] 800.338.2629 x 402	         *
* Sufficient for today = Inadequate for tomorrow *