Re: ORBS block

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Fri Dec 17 13:11:22 1999

I can add a little. I know a lot of providers who blocked ORBS's scanning. And
this always resulted to the decrease of the headache and decreasing number of
relaying attempts. The blocking itself was not always done by IP filters, but on
the SMTP level too.

It seems ORBS itself must be placed into all black lists -:).

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Tim Wolfe wrote:

> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:49:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tim Wolfe <[email protected]>
> To: Greg A. Woods <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: ORBS block
>

> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > > access-list 104 deny ip 202.36.148.5 0.0.0.255 any
> > > access-list 104 deny ip 202.36.147.16 0.0.0.255 any
> >
> > If I were anywhere near any network doing that I would consider it to be
> > theft of service by the network operator.
>
> Greg,
>
> If Provider X wants to listen to Dean's loony conspiracy theories and block
> ORBS from going through their network, how is that thef of service?  That
> would only be true if ORBS pays Provider X for some type of service and then
> they could fall back to whatever options (arbitration, etc) that their
> contract allows.
>
> Dean,
>
> Get off your ass and put your own damn filters on your own router.  If you
> can't do that for a technical reason, just add a bogus route on your mail
> server to those IPs.  If you can't do it for a lack of competency reason,
> which seems infinitely more plausible at this point, please hire someone
> with a clue to do it for you.
>
> I speak only for myself and my dog.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Tim

> * Timothy M. Wolfe, Chief Network Engineer       *
> * ClipperNet Corporation / It's a wireless world *
> * [email protected] 800.338.2629 x 402	         *
> * Sufficient for today = Inadequate for tomorrow *

Aleksei Roudnev,
(+1 415) 585-3489 /San Francisco CA/