Re: Portable IP space, isolated networks, BGP, etc... (fwd)

  • From: Jeffrey Haas
  • Date: Thu Dec 09 19:38:52 1999

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 01:30:47PM -0800, Tim Wolfe wrote:
> If he was to use multihop EBGP to maintain a full BGP mesh between all of the
> BGP speakers in his ASN and each POP only announced it's own networks
> upstream...?

Close, I think.

Each POP should advertise its nets via standard EBGP.
They could then setup an IBGP mesh internally.  The main point of importance
here is that their next-hop's network must be originated by the upstream
provider.

However this is probably a Bad Thing.  You'd need to crank on the IBGP
session's timers to account for lossy paths.

I wonder if there's any particular reason why they're not using private AS
numbers with their immediate upstreams and letting _them_ advertise the
networks.

--
 Jeffrey Haas   "... and we cannot ignore our duties simply because they are
[email protected]  not what we desire.  That is exactly how evil comes into